A Midwesterner in the Tsar's Court

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An Evil Empire?

Time for some deep thinking.


    I want you to forget about everything you've ever learned about the Soviet Union (especially those of you who were born between 1917 and 1991) and about Communism. I grew up being told that Communism is a terrible thing and that it only begets horrible rulers and oppressed people. I was once told that in a communist society, the government would tell me what to do. Being young, the worst career choice I could think of was a garbage man. Therefore, my image of Communism were people telling me that I had to be garbage man for the rest of my life. My education concerning the Soviet Union was enhanced by images in history books of military parades in Red Square, pictures and names of the millions killed during Stalin's purges, and the words that the Soviet Union was evil and that they wanted to attack the US. These ideas were only reinforced in video games, movies, and how older generations talked about the Russians and Communists and the Soviet Union.


    Being in Russia, you can't help but notice the marks from the country's Soviet past. And speaking with people who actually lived in the Soviet Union, you can't help but realize that most of the things you grow up learning about the Soviet Union are rather false.

    First off, PEOPLE lived in the Soviet Union. They weren't monsters, they weren't murders, and their first thoughts every morning weren't: "Hmmm...what can I do today to defeat those capitalist pigs?" They probably woke up thinking: "Damn it's early...why did I sign up for this shift?" and the conversations a husband and wife had with each other every morning probably didn't involve the words Communism, Capitalism, evil, Lenin, or Stalin. Instead, it was probably, "I love you," "when are you getting home?", "I packed your lunch for you," "don't forget, the kids has a program tonight at school!" Any of this sound familiar? I thought so.

   To put the emphasis on another part of the phrase, people LIVED in the Soviet Union. They went to work, they did their jobs, they ate, slept, loved, cried, felt afraid, were hunger, were full, had to go to the bathroom, got sick, went to the hospital, had tests to take, had homework to do, and probably looked forward to having a break every once in awhile.


So let's start there and let it sink in. I'll continue writing in a bit after I put my thoughts into order (and make them coherent). There's a lot to say, but I want to focus on the important topics.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!